- Yarn weight
- Kits & boxes
Gaston is a cute little sweater for children, with a vintage vibe thanks to its big shawl collar and yet resolutely modern thanks to a very graphic cabled texture. Very warm, it is knitted using a worsted weight yarn. This way, it knits up quickly even if the body is full of cables! Irresistible on the younger ones, its style will make it a hit with the older children too. Actually, you can find on the Ravelry page of the patterns multiple examples in all sizes (and even one or two adapted for adults!).
This sweater is knitted from the bottom up, in the round, without seaming. You will begin with the sleeves, then the body of the sweater. You will then join them to knit the yoke and shoulders together. You will then finish the sweater by knitting the shawl collar, still without seams.
This listing is for the knitting pattern (pdf) of the children sweater Gaston (in French and in English).
- 1 year-2 yrs-4 yrs [6 yrs-8 yrs-10 yrs-12 yrs]
for a finished chest size of 22”-23”-25” [26”-28”-30”-31”]
Gauge (after washing/blocking):
- 22 stitches and 26 rows = 10 cm/4’’ in cable stitch
- 20 stitches and 28 rows = 10 cm/4’’in stockinette stitch in the round
- Stockinette in the round
- 4/2 rib
- 2/2 rib
- Cables (cable 2 over 2 R/L)
Yarn & Notions:
- 4-5-6 [7-8-9-10] skeins of l’Originale by l’Echappée Laine (100% Shetland Wool – 100m / 50g), here in the Taupe colourway, or approx. 380-480-550 [630-750-860-980] m / 420-530-600 [690-820-940-1070] yds of any other worsted weight yarn to get gauge
- Circular needles to get gauge (suggested size: 4.5 mm/US#7)
- 3 stitch markers + 1 of a different type
- 2 double-pointed needles in the same size (or 2 stitch holders)
- Cable needle